2344 Massachusetts Avenue, NW

5 Bedrooms | 5 Full & 2 Half Bathrooms | Offered for $5,800,000

MRIS: DC9872239
Interior: 7,295 square feet

Details


Amenities

Elevator Serves All Floors
Top Floor Entertaining Suite with Full Service Bar
Roof Terrace and Terraced Garden
Lower Level One Bedroom Suite with Kitchenette
Heated Driveway and 4 Car Parking


Description

A prominent Embassy Row residence, this distinctive Flemish Revival property has a distinguished provenance. Designed in 1908 by William J. Palmer, a well-respected architect of the period, the residence represents the pinnacle of his work. Mrs. Frank Cummings Cook purchased the home in 1927 and transformed it into The Sheridan School, the name referencing nearby Sheridan Circle. When the school outgrew the space, the newly established Libyan embassy purchased it. After relations between the U.S. and Libya were severed in 1980, the property fell into disrepair.

The present owners purchased the former embassy in 2007, and undertook a meticulous restoration that was completed in 2012. They entrusted the project to Barnes Vanze Architects, Glass Construction and Martha Blair Fitzgerald Interiors. This expert team created a seamless addition, replicating millwork, and restoring interior and exterior spaces to the pristine condition found today. From the strengthening of the property’s structural elements, installation of state of the art mechanical and entertainment systems, to the use of the highest quality finishes and fixtures, no expense was spared. In addition, several original period chandeliers and sconces adorn the property. Featuring elegant entertaining spaces on the main level, ample and exquisitely appointed bedrooms upstairs and down, a roof terrace with glorious views, and the finest great room in Washington on the upper level to capstone entertaining, this is a home to enjoy from top to bottom.

The property has recently been featured in several publications including the Washington Post as The House of the Week, and the restoration received a John Russell Pope award in recognition of excellent work in classical and traditional architecture in the Washington Mid-Atlantic region.


More Information